Budget-Friendly Places to Explore in the Los Angeles Area
- California Science Center - FREE Admission to all permanent galleries. Exhibits include ecosystems, kelp forests, a Rot Room, Space exploration and more. Conveniently located next to Downtown LA and Exposition Park. Click here for more information.
- Olvera Street - Another FREE activity located close to Downtown LA. Wander through historic Olvera Street, and learn about this landmark's important role in the development of Los Angeles. If you're feeling extra adventurous, try taking the Gold Line down to Union Station, and walk to Olvera Street from there. Click here for more information.
- Travel Town - This FREE outdoor travel museum in Griffith Park that is dedicated to all that has to do with trains and locomotives. You can even take a train ride around the park for fun. Click here for more information.
- Cabrillo Marine Museum - Suggested admission is a donation of $5 for adults, and $1 for kids. Tidepool touch tank, and over 35 aquariums in this small, local gem. Parking is readily available, and there is lots to do in the surrounding area after your visit. Click here for more information.
- Pershing Square - Downtown LA's outdoor event park, with lots of FREE events scheduled through January 20 (winter concerts, ice skating exhibitions, broomball games and more). Ice Skate in the heart of Downtown LA for about $10 an hour. For more information, click here.
For more ideas, click here for a list of locations and activities to take advantage of in the Los Angeles area, created by National Geographic. Most of the venues and activities are free or extremely budget-friendly. We encourage everyone to get out, and explore the many resources that the Los Angeles area has to offer!